Master Theses in the program "Master of Science in Physics and Astronomy"
This page provides an overview of possible topics for a Master thesis in the programme "Master in de Fysica en de Sterrenkunde", organized jointly by the Universiteit Gent and the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. As a Master student you will be fully embedded in the host research group and work in an international team on fascinating present-day problems in collaboration with a thesis advisor and supervisor.
More detailed information concerning the various research topics is provided below and in case you are interested in participating in one of these efforts, please feel free to address (one of) the contact persons mentioned.
If you are interested in two or more options, or perhaps have a proposal yourself, please do not hesitate to contact several potential promoters; they will be happy to discuss with you!
- Astroparticle Physics with the IceCube Neutrino Observatory at the South Pole
- Theoretical High Energy Physics and Cosmology
- Dynamics of Semiconductor ring lasers
- Modeling of spatially incoherent laser emissions
- Fundamental and applied physics of Metamaterials
- Statistical image reconstruction in computerized tomography
- Particle Physics with the proton collisions at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN
- The formation of heavy elements: supernovae vs mergers of neutron stars and black holes?
- Binary star systems and dark matter in dwarf spheroidal galaxies
- Modeling of dynamical phenomena in biology
- Validation and Improvement of Aerosol Retrieval Algorithms
- Phenomenology of theories beyond the Standard Model of particle physics
The following thesis subjects are offered at UGent
There are also thesis subjects offered at the Belgian Nuclear Research Centre - SCK-CEN