Get your diploma ‘Master of Science in Biology’ in Brussels
Did you obtain a BSc degree in Biology in Belgium, Europe, or anywhere else in the world? Or are you finalizing your Bachelor programme? Why don't you get your MSc degree in Brussels, at the VUB (Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Free University of Brussels).
Here in the Capital of Europe, we offer a Master programme that provides an excellent preparation of your life as a biologist, whether you pursue a career in research, environmental policy, nature conservation, or teaching. Our programme includes five different graduation options, all taught in English, and all leading to the English-written diploma ‘Master of Science in Biology’. Each graduation option is unique in its scope, and is upheld by the strong research expertise of our lecturers and their teams. Each option also integrates classroom courses that provide you with in-depth knowledge in topical research fields, with practical training in state-of-the-art techniques currently applied in the field and the lab.
1. Classes in relatively small groups allowing for close interactions between students and tutors.
2. An experience based approach with plenty of practical courses, field courses and excursions (e.g. Mediterranean field course, Herpetology field course in Guyana)
3. International mobility with recent thesis projects in more than 20 countries on 5 continents.
4. Thesis subjects that are written together with the individual students specifically to meet their personal interests.
5. Research opportunities on unique ecosystems such as coral reefs, mangroves, savanna and tropical rainforests
6. State of the art molecular research on e.g. stem cells, genetic modification and animal pheromones.
7. Research across multiple spatial and organismal scales from genotypes to ecosystems.
8. A team of tutors from different research domains including world class experts with strong international curricula
We offer the following five graduation options:
1. Genetics, Cell and Developmental Biology covers a broad range of research fields from whole organism down to the molecular level. Topics include animal and plant development, microbiology, cell signaling pathways, cell cycle, cancer biology, virology and immunology.
2. Environment, Biodiversity and Ecosystems provides training and expertise in studying organisms and their role in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, their interactions, their diversity and their evolution. Practical courses include a 10-days field excursion, typically in the Mediterranean region.
3. Human Ecology (ICP) focuses on people, their interaction with the environment, and the increasing impact of the human population on ecosystems worldwide. This option integrates science with socio-economic and political aspects.
4. Herpetology provides specialized training in the study of amphibian and reptiles. Its course programme covers topical research fields, this option includes field excursions in a European and tropical biodiversity hotspot.
5. The EMMC Tropical Biodiversity and Ecosystems (Tropimundo) unites the expertise of Higher Education Institutes in Belgium, Europe and abroad, to train you in the study of tropical rainforests, both on land and in the sea. Besides courses in Brussels, you will spend part of your program at another European University and in the tropics.