Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Department of Geography
1050 Brussels | Belgium
I am a geographer with a broad interest in the application of remote sensing and GIS to study societal, natural and/or global challenges related to among other urbanisation, demography, natural hazards and risks, biodiversity and climate change.
After obtaining a master degree in geography at the VUB, I worked as a GIS and Earth Observation analyst in a private company. In October 2018, I joined the Cartography and GIS research group as research and teaching assistant. I am guiding the practical sessions of the courses Geoinformation Science, Geographical Research Methods I: Earth Observation, Advanced Earth Observation Techniques and Introduction to GIS at both bachelor and master level. Recently, I started a PhD in the field of urban remote sensing focusing on the use of remote sensing techniques for assessing hydrological ecosystem services in the Brussels Capital Region.
My expertise includes:
Urban remote sensing
Lava flow hazard and risk assessment
Remote sensing based assessment of hydrological ecosystem services in the Brussels Capital Region
PhD research (VUB) | 2018 – 2024
Promotors: Prof. Dr. Frank Canters and Prof. Dr. Boud Verbeiren
Lava flow hazard and risk assessment at Nyiragongo volcano, DR Congo
Master thesis (VUB and KULeuven) | 2016 – 2017
Promotor: Prof. Dr Matthieu Kervyn
Mentors: Sam Poppe, Sophie Mossoux and Caroline Michellier
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Barette, F., Poppe, S., Smets, B., Benbakkar, M., Kervyn, M., 2017. Spatial variation of volcanic rock geochemistry in the Virunga Volcanic Province: Statistical analysis of an integrated database. Journal of African Earth Sciences. 134, 888 - 903.
- Barette, F., Michellier, C., Mossoux, S., Poppe, S., Smets, B., Wolff, E., Kervyn, F., Kervyn, M., 2017. Assessing lava flow risk at Nyiragongo volcano, DR Congo. Part 2: Lava flow hazard map. IAVCEI Scientific Assembly 2017, Portland, United States.
- Barette, F., Poppe, S., Smets, B., Benbakkar, M.,Kervyn, M., 2016. Deriving spatial patterns from a novel database of volcanic rock geochemistry in the Virunga Volcanic Province, East African Rift. EGU General Assembly 2016. Vienna, Austria.
- Poppe, S., Grosse, P., Barette, F., Smets, B., Albino, F., Kervyn, F., Kervyn, M., 2016. Quantifying the morphometric variability of monogenetic cones in volcanic fields: the Virunga Volcanic Province, East African Rift. EGU General Assembly 2016. Vienna, Austria.
- Practical sessions of Geo-Informatiekunde (BA Geography)
In English :
- Practical sessions of Geographical Research Methods I: Earth Observation (MA Geography)
- Practical sessions of Advanced Earth Observation Techniques (MA Geography)
- Practical sessions of Introduction to GIS (MA Urban Design and Spatial Planning, Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management, Biology)