Outreach to the Media and Public
- 01.04.2020, Science AAAS highlighted our recent paper in this week News & "Rootin’, poopin’ Africa elephants help keep soil fertile" article. Read the original paper published in Nature Sustainability with colleagues from the biology Dept. here or in VUB Today in Dutch or English or Daily Science .
- 09.03.2020, Worldwide press coverage of our recent paper in Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, on sub-daily chemical variability in rudist (Bivalves) shell showing that the day were 30 minutes shorter in the Cretaceous, some 70 million years ago, AGU Newsroom , Der Spiegel , Knack , Mail-online , Newsweek , Het Nieuwsblad , Daily Science , etc. I was also picked up on several radios and post-casts, BCC1, Radio 1, etc.
- 16.01.2020, Belgian press coverage of our recent paper in Climate of the Past, comparing seasonality during the 16th-17the century and modern days (1960-2010) based on a stalagmite from Han sur Less in Belgium, RTBF news , L’Avenir , Daily Science , Le Vif , etc.
- 01.11.2019 knack opinie : Dinosauriërs waren de bekendste slachtoffers van de meest recente massaextinctie', 2 pages article in Knack , Flemish news magazine covering release of video: by "Universiteit van Vlaanderen" : Hoe zijn de dinosaurussen nu echt uitgestorven (how did dino’s really died).
- 24.10.2019 Belgian press coverage of the SUBLIMUS project funded by INNOVIRIS to recover gold, silver and platinum from solid waste produced by Brussels water treatment plants, articles published by La Dernière Heure , RTBF , BRUZZ , VRT News , Les Echos , Daily Sciences , and Brussels TV
- 18.09.2019 Worldwide Press, coverage of our article in Science Advances, An extraterrestrial trigger for the mid-Ordovician ice age: Dus from the break-up of the L-chondrite parent body, proposing that huge ET dust cooled the Earth and induced major faunal changes some 466 million years ago, Science wrote a editorial about it, summary of the work appeared in New-York Times , CNN , De Morgen , Het Laatste Nieuws , VRT-news , The Guardian , Radio Canada , De Standaard , The Independent , Fox-News , etc ...
- 09.09.2019 Worldwide Press, coverage of our article in PNAS, The first day of the Cenozoic, on the mechanisms that let to the demise of the dinosaurs after the Chicxulub impact published in RTBF news , National Geographic , The Smithsonian , Wall Street Journal , El Païs , Il Post , New York Times .
- 03.08.2018 Worldwide Press, coverage of our article on the origin of the people buried at Stonehenge published in BBC News , CNN , De Morgen , De Standaard , El Païs , Science News , The Guardian , Washington Post .
- 26.06.2018, NEWS COVER OF THE ARRIVAL MARTIAN METEORITE IN BRUSSELS, it was recovered during our Antarctic expedition and will be studied jointly at VUB and ULB, RTL Info , RTBF , Het Nieuwsblad ,
- 03.06.2018 Press coverage of our Nature paper on the recovery of life after the Chicxulub impact in Yucatan 66 million years ago, 7sur7 , Het Laatste Nieuws , La Dernière Heure, RTBF , VRT Nieuws .
- 03.01.2018, Newspaper articles on Nature Communications paper, Belgian and German media reported on our articles "Timing and pacing of the Late Devonian mass extinction event regulated by eccentricity and obliquity", Le Vif, De Morgen, Nieuwblad, Het Laatste Nieuws, Der Standard.
- 07.12.2017, NEWSPAPER ARTICLES ENVIRONMENTAL GEOCHEMISTRY, Flemish journals such as Het Nieuwsblad, De Standaard, VTM news. Reported on joint work with Prof. Dominique Weis at Univeristy of British Columbia on using honey geochemistry to trace pollution in Vancouver and Brussel.
13-15.12.2016, De Morgen, BBC News, The Washington Post, etc., reported on the press conference given during the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco on the recent results on the IODP-ICDP Chicxulub drilling offshore Yucatan.
BBC News, De Morgen, The Washington Post
18.11.2016, New York Times, BBC News, Tagesspiegel, Ciel & Espace, etc., and many newspapers worldwide reported on our Science paper (published on Nov. 17, 2016) regarding the formation of the complex peak-ring Chicxulub crater in Yucatan, as analog for similar structures on other planets.
Ciel & Espace, BBC News, New York Times
15.06.2016, Article in journal “Bruzz”related to the research carried out by AMGC on flooding management in Brussels.
07.03.2016 - Interview on the VRT Radio morning show, 07.03.2016, (Flanders main radio station) on the IODP-ICDP drilling of the Chicxulub crater in Yucatan.
Click here to hear it
Interview for the News (1 PM – 7 PM) of the RTBF “Le Journal”, 04.10.2015, Belgian French Television, regarding the mechanisms leading to the extinction of the dinosaurs.
Click here for Video, time : 10:08 - 12:40
Het Belang van Limburg, 18-10-2015, Dr. Koen Stein and Prof. Philippe Claeys comment about recent the discovery in China of ancient Homo sapiens fossil teeth that could modify current vision of human migration into Asia.
Het Belang van Limburg
Le Soir, 6-7-2015, article related to our recent publication about how incoherence in cartographic data between Brussels, Flanders and Wallonia complicates water management in Brussels.
It is based on an article published in the journal “Brussels Studies” ( Click here to read original article).
Fall 2013, organisation of a series of Wednesday afternoons workshops/seminars/lab experiments/fieldwork
for high-potential secondary school students about the origin, formation and evolution of the Earth,
with special focus on mass extinctions of organisms, such as the dinosaurs, large-scale climate variations and ongoing global changes.
A graduation ceremony took place on January 15, 2014 at the VUB in presence of the families, and VUB academics.
More info click here.
De Standaard, L'Avenir, Hufftington Post, Le Vif, Daily Mail, New Zealand Herald, Global Post,
and many more worldwide March 1st 2013, covered our recent discovery in the blue ice field of Antarctica of a 18 kg meteorite, one of the largest ever,
VRT News Film.
Different PDF files can be found below.
De Standaard, L'Avenir, Hufftington Post, Le Vif, Daily Mail, New Zeland Herald, Global Post.
De Tijd, Le Soir, Gazet van Antwerpen, Knack, Le Figaro, BBC news, Science Daily,
January 24th 2013, and many others reported on our recent paper in Nature Communication relating the discovery of a new bird-like theropod dinosaur from the Jurassic of China.
Different PDF files can be found below.
De Tijd, Le Soir, Gazet van Antwerpen, Knack, Le Figaro, BBC, Science Daily.
Le Soir, RTL, RTBF, Engineeringnet.be, Bulletins electronic-France,
etc, news coverage of the VUB-ULB Antarctic mission (2012-2013) to search for meteorites in the Nansen Icefield in collaboration with the National Institute of Polar Research in Japan, and supported by
International Polar Foundation.
Different PDF files can be found below.
Le Soir, RTL, RTBF, Engineeringnet.be, Bulletins Electronic-France,
Het Laatste Nieuws, EditiePajot,
Gazet van Antwerpen, De Morgen, Le Soir, Het Belang van Limburg, brusselnieuws.be, vandaag.be and VRT November 29th, 2012, reported on the first arrival of meteorites from the Antarctic.
Different PDF files can be found below.
Het Laatste Nieuws, Editie Pajot.
Le Soir, De Standaard, La Libre Belgique, Eos Magazine February 2011, covered the 2010-2011 VUB - ULB Antarctic mission to search for meteorites in the region surrounding the Belgian base Princess Elisabeth with the support of
International Polar Foundation.
Click here to watch/download Movie of the Expedition.
- De Tijd, Le Soir, La Libre Belgique, Brusselnieuws, March 22nd, 2010, articles in various Belgian newspapers over the "InBev-Baillet Latour" Fellowship Award for Antarctic Research granted to Steven Goderis [PolarFoundation].
- Large international (US, Japan, Mexico etc.) media coverage of our March 5th 2010, Science review paper: Schulte et al., "The Chicxulub Asteroid Impact and Mass Extinction at the Cretaceous-Paleogene Boundary, Articles in Flemish press such as De Standaard, De Morgen, Het Laatste Nieuws, Gazet van Antwerpen, Knack, along with interview on the Radio and TV.
- Interview of Steven Goderis on television, VTM and TV Brussel, February 25th, 2010 about our project to search for meteorites in Antarctica supported by Belgian Scientific Policy and International Polar Foundation.
- Science, NewsFocus, v. 337, p. 409, January, 22, 2010, short article by Dick Kerr "Still no mammoth-killer" on research presented at the 2009 AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco.
- Interview Life on Radio 1, De Ochtend, January, 19, 2010, morning show of the VRT, Flemish National Radio, over ongoing expedition searching for meteorites in Antarctica [Click Here to Hear It].
- VUB Promotional film, January, 2010 [Click Here to See It].
- NewsGuide.US & ScienceDaily, December 2009, webnews articles over recent results published by Paquay et al. in Proceedings of the US National Academy of Sciences [ScienceDaily].
- Kennislink.nl, November 2009, web article over results published by Surovell et al. in Proceedings of the US National Academy of Sciences [Kennislink].
- De Standaard, De Morgen, Het Laatste Nieuws, the 3 major Flemish newspapers, 20 October 2009, articles: "Mammoet stierf niet uit door buitenaardse inslag" [article De Standaard, article De Morgen, article HLN]
- Science et Vie Junior, nr. 235, April 2009, interview in article : Le ciel est-il tombé sur la tête des mammouths ?
- Le monde, 05 January 2009, interview in article : Une crise écologique tombée du ciel il y a 12.900 ans?
- Le monde, 21 December 2008, interview in article : La double malédiction des dinosaures
Knack, 17 September 2008, "Vlaamse top", 6 pages interview of Philippe Claeys as part of a serie of articles on the "Top 10 Scientists in Flanders" by Dirk Draulans.
- Le monde, 21 June 2008, interview in article : La thèse de la météorite tueuse de Mammouths sucite de vifs débats.
- Knack, 29 April 2008, article: Geologie: "Diamant in onze grond".
- Science, NewsFocus, v. 319, p. 1331, March, 7, 2008, Interview and reference to ongoing research in an article by Dick Kerr Experts find no evidence for a Mammoth-Killer impact.
- Knack, 23 January 2008, article: Geologie: "Nieuwe Leven".
- Knack, 31 October 2007, article: Kosmologie : Biljard wordt bombardement.
- Interview in "Le jardin extraodinaire" major scientific program of the RTBF (French speaking TV) of Philippe Claeys on the causes of the dinosaurs extinction 65 million years ago, the program was devoted to the reopening of the dinosaurs gallery at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences.
- De Standaard , major Flemish newspaper devoted part of an article to our proposal to use the new Belgian base in Antarctica to search for meteorites Click Here For Article.
- De Standaard & Le Soir, two of the major Belgian newspaper published an open letter of scientists to the government pleading for more financial support for research project centered on the new Belgian base in Antarctica (click here for the letter in Dutch or French).
- Newspapers from around the world cited the article "Lethal Billards" (Nature 6 September 2007), among them : San Francisco Chronicle, BBC News, China Daily, Times, NPR (Listen to All Things Considered on 5.9.07), El Periodico, Geotimes, Telegraph, Scientific American etc...
- Interviews on the French - and Dutch - speaking Radios and Televisions in Belgium related to the presentation of the large iron-meteorite of Mont Dieu recently acquired by the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences (download Regionieuws, VTM Nieuws 13 uur, 1ere RTBF).
- Richmond Times-Dispatch, 23 March 2006, "Scientists peruse unearthed cores from ancient Chesapeake bay crater" (Link to Online Article).
- Natuurwetenschap & Techniek, December 2005, (Hoogteziekte in Pangea, gebrek aan zuurstof droeg bij aan massale uitsterving).
- Voor de Dag on Radio 1, 20 May 2005: VRT journalist Ben Vanheukelom interviews Philippe Claeys.
- Nieuws Radio 1 VRT, Eddy Keppens comments the Earthquake and Tsunami of 26 December 2004 in the Indian Ocean.
- Knack, 08 September 2004 : Article "Twee Asteroiden" by journalist Dirk Draulans.
- MSNBC News on the web 31 July 2004, article "Asteroids may have created ancient craters".
- New Scientist, v. 183, no 2458, p. 8, 31 July 2004, article "Dual asteroid stirke hits comet theory".
- Astronomy Magazine (online edition) 29 July 2004, article "Those weren't Snowballs".
- Chemical and Engineering News (online edition) 29 July 2004, article "Those weren't Snowballs".
- The Sun, (Baltimore), 26 July 2004, Article p. 9A "Hits from Heaven".
- New Scientist, May 2004, Article "Four days that shook the world" by Kate Ravilious, Philippe Claeys express his hiogh degree of skepticism over the recently proposed Mega-volcanism theory of VERNESHOT.
- Science & Vie, May 2004, article "Dinosaures : vive polémique autour de leur extinction"
- Space.com, article "Double Whammy: asteroids delivered one-two punch", May 2004.
- Dallas Morning News, Article by Journalist Alex Witze, 31 May 2004 "new evidence for big die-off".
- TV program "C'est la vie" on the RTBF, 6 April 2004, interview of Philippe Claeys related to flooding risks in Uccle (Brussels), related to large construction project close to a Natura 2000 nature reservation.
- TV program Over leven, Canvas VRT : "Moordenaar uit de ruimte", 45 minutes documentary on the end of the dinosaurs, filmed in Spain, Italy and Mexico for the Flemish Televison. The crew of Over leven followed Philippe Claeys in Spain and Mexico in search for the crater that killed the dinosaurs.
- "Meteoritten der forandrede verden" in journal "Ingeniøren" (in Danish!) of 25-4-2003, science journalist Rolf Nielsen interviews Philippe Claeys.
- ARD radio (Berlin), 21-11-2002, Philippe Claeys took part in a debate on the extinction of the dinosaurs.
- Jongens & Wetenschap, Radio 1.
- Deutsche Welle, August 2002, Sabine Goldhahn interviews Philippe Claeys to comment on the latest scientific developments presented in the session "Impact hasards from comets and asteroids" at the Goldschmidt conference in Davos.
- Nieuws Radio 1, VRT, Philippe Claeys comments the Earthquake of Eschweiller that was felt in Belgium that morning.
- Knack, 5 June 2002: Article "Diepte krater".
Brussel deze week, 16-5-2002, article "VUB-prof. onderzoekt de moord op de dino's"
- New Scientist, no 23412, 4 May 2002, article by Kate Ravilious: Last days of the Dinosaurs, Prof. Philippe Claeys comments the drilling of the Chicxulub crater in Yucatan (Download).
- Ciel & Espace magazine, no 388, September 2002, article by Charles Frankel, "Extinction des dinosaures, la preuve au fond du cratére".
- Press release VUB Persbericht : 03 May 2002 "Onderzoek kraterboorkernen verklaart mogelijk plotse uitsterven dinosauriërs" (Download).
- Còmo ves, Mexican scientific journal article "El crater de la muerte".
- Natuurwetenschap & Techniek, August 2002, article "Stalagmieten als klimaatmeters".
- De Telegraaf, Article "Stalagmieten vertellen verhaal van het klimaat".
- Financieel-Economische Tijd, 14 July 2001, article "De krater van het laatste oordeel" by Tom Dieusaert.
- And this has been going on for quite a while...