Software Languages Lab
The Software Languages Lab (SOFT) is a research lab within the Department of Computer Science of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB). The Software Languages Lab was founded in 2009 as a merger of the Programming Technology Lab and the System and Software Engineering Lab. SOFT is presided by Prof. Dr. Wolfgang De Meuter, and counts Prof. Dr. Elisa Gonzalez Boix, Prof. Dr. Coen De Roover, Prof. Dr. Dominique Devriese, Prof. Dr. Viviane Jonckers, and Prof. Dr. Bas Ketsman as additional full-time professors and Em. Prof. Dr. Theo D'Hondt as emeritus.
Broadly speaking, the lab is active in the design, implementation and application of programming technology to support the software engineering process.
The Software Languages Lab covers all aspects of the research spectrum, including:
- Design of languages (advanced modularity, distribution, concurrency, context, …)
- Formal study of languages (type systems, abstract interpretation, static analysis, contract systems, …)
- Efficient implementation of languages (virtual machines, parallelization, scheduling, …)
- Tool support for languages (IDEs, debuggers, versioning tools, evolution support, refactoring, …)
- Applications of languages (android applications, RFID‐enabled applications, web applications, embedded applications, city-ware, …)